Thursday, February 13, 2014

introducción

Each of us is hurled
Into a great big world
What you do
Is up to you
Your path to be unfurled

Today marks the first full week I have been here on Isla Solarte! I am finding it harder than expected to write about my time here. First, it is difficult to express experiences to those who are unfamiliar with the location and the people I am surrounded by. Second, so much has happened since we arrived that I don’t know where to begin. Third, we have been kept so busy lately it is challenging to find time to put my thoughts into words. So, I will start with some introductions.

This is the building that we eat, sleep, and hangout in.




This is the beautiful (and sometimes distracting) view from our outdoor classroom.

This is our dock which has a swimming area next to us that we can use whenever we want.


We also have a resident pig that eats the scraps from all our meals.

Within walking distance from our comfy abode, there are two small villages (cleverly named Solate1 and Solarte2). Through the forested hills of the island wind hiking trails, remnants of the thankfully no longer existent plan to develop the island with luxury homes. The wildlife we see consists mainly of birds but there are also small frogs that hop ahead of us on paths, geckos that live in the walls, and a multitude of insects. Fortunately, there are very few mosquitos which eases my fear of getting dengue or malaria. However the chitras (sandflies) that have taken a liking to my arms and legs have the potential of transmitting leishmaniasis.


Bonus Photos of the Panama Canal!


No comments:

Post a Comment